Monday, December 30, 2013

Torticollis Exercises on an Older Baby

I understand why most people say its ideal to catch torticollis before baby reaches four months old.  Torticollis treatment is often easier and faster, the earlier you catch it. My daughter is now eleven months and it is so much more difficult doing her torticollis stretches and exercises. She is very mobile and strong now and can easily wiggle out of many positions I attempt to put her in. The stretches are especially challenging, while the strengthening exercises are slightly easier to accomplish compared to the stretches.

Mom doing a torticollis stretch with her baby.
Just realized one of her socks is missing. Whoops :)

If my daughter was under four months, she would not have the strength or mobility to fight me as much. At her older age, I have to be so much more creative and patient when doing her torticollis exercises.  I have to constantly find new and interesting toys or scenery to distract her. Just when I successfully discover a new way to stretch her, she seems to cleverly figure out a new way to wiggle her way out of it. Thankfully, she tolerates the TOT collar much better now than she used to when she was younger. So at least there is one positive in treating torticollis on an older baby!If you are interested in seeing a product review of the TOT collar, here is the video review from my YouTube channel.

Baby with torticollis doing a strengthening exercise
We caught a rare moment of her smiling during torticollis exercises.

I'm starting to worry that there's not many good torticollis exercises left that I can still do with her.  In addition, I'm starting to panic that maybe her torticollis is about as good as it will get. From my my observations, it seems like her neck strength on her left neck side as pretty much caught up to her right side.  Her lack of left neck strength was the main issue attributing to her torticollis. So now that strength on both sides of neck seem pretty equal, I'm concerned about her continuing to tilt her head. Although she has improved immensely from the beginning of treatment, her torticollis is not entirely eliminated. I do not want to settle with her having a slight neck tilt. I am really hoping for her head to be midline most of the time.  But perhaps, I am being overly idealistic and hopeful.

Baby with right torticollis wearing the TOT collar
Since her torticollis exercises recently aren't going as well as I hoped,
I'm trying to use the TOT collar on her more regularly.

I am excited to meet with her physical therapist for her next re-evaluation this week. In addition, I'm looking forward to Kellyn's re-evaluation with the staff at the torticollis clinic at Children's National Medical Center that's coming up in a few weeks. They will be able to provide me with a more accurate and realistic assessment of what I can expect as far as further improvement (if any) with Kellyn's torticollis. This current situation of waiting and anticipating is a good opportunity to give the situation over to God and trust in Him. I know I am doing the best I can to help Kellyn, so I know I am doing my part. As much as I want to control this situation, so much of this situation is out of my control. The one who really is in control is God and His plan is always perfect. This is something I need to keep reminding myself over and over throughout this torticollis journey.