Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Torticollis Suspected

So for the past few months, I've been noticing my daughter Kellyn has been tilting her head to her right side and tilting her trunk to the left side.  I also noticed that her left eye is open slightly more than her right side.  I mentioned her tilts and her eyes to her doctors when she was about six months old, but no one seemed to be too concerned.  I was given general advice of stretching her and encouraging her to look to her right side.  I was also told that if it doesn't correct itself over time, than she may need physical therapy in the future.  

I figured that I was overreacting about her tilting.  In the past, I have often caused myself unnecessary worry by self-diagnosing with the help of the internet.  So this time, I was going to not cave in and I simply trust her the medical professionals' judgment.  Of course, the one time that I actually do so, is probably the one time that I wish I had done some additional personal research.  With a simple Google search, I would have easily found out about the condition that Kellyn had: torticollis. This condition should be treated as soon as possible for the best prognosis.  At 7 months old, she was finally diagnosed with torticollis and we got started right away with physical therapy.  I wish we had found out sooner, but better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment