Monday, November 11, 2013

Last Chiropractic Appointment for Torticollis

So today was Kellyn's third and final chiropractic adjustment.  I don't necessarily think its what the chiropractor would have recommended, but that's what my husband wanted.  He was never super comfortable with the idea of Kellyn going in the first place.  And Kellyn's torticollis is doing pretty well lately, so he figured it was not worth the small risk of something potentially bad happening from the adjustment.  And I'm fine with this decision.  I plan to watch her over the next few weeks to make sure she doesn't experience any big regressions.  I also want to make sure that her improvement continues on in an upward trend.  If we notice Kellyn's torticollis worsening, Ryan and I will discuss whether or not we want to start back up with chiropractic.

Baby girl in carseat playing with a toy
My beautiful baby girl bundled up and ready to go to the chiropractor.

Its hard for me to know exactly if the chiropractic appointments significantly helped with the torticollis.  It definitely did not make it any worse.  In addition, Kellyn did not mind the adjustments at all.  Overall, her torticollis has really improved as physical therapy progressed and she's gotten older.  So its hard for me to decipher whether her improvements in the past four weeks were attributed to chiropractic or other factors such as the physical therapy, Kinesio Tape, maturation, etc.  I think the real test will now be how she does without the chiropractic treatments.  I would like to think that the chiropractic slightly helped her torticollis improve; however my husband doesn't think it made a difference.

I previously had asked the physical therapist at the torticollis clinic about pediatric chiropractic.  She shared that it can be helpful for babies who have neck muscle tightness which haven't been resolved in physical therapy.  Now, my daughter's right neck muscle is not significantly tight and it has loosened up over her course of physical therapy.  Her main issue is that her left side neck muscles lack strength.  So I went into this chiropractic course of treatment hopeful, but also realistic about my expectations.  Overall, I am really happy that we pursued chiropractic as a supplemental treatment to my daughter's physical therapy.  If we didn't attempt it, I would always be wondering if it would have helped.  Although we have ended our chiropractic treatment for our daughter, I would be open to starting again if Kellyn's torticollis significantly worsened and if my husband felt comfortable with her going again.