Monday, September 30, 2013

Overwhelmed with the Treatment Process

The past couple weeks has been pretty hectic for our family.   Ryan's back has been really bothering him and he is pretty limited to how he can help with the kids or with housework.  Unfortunately, he is now unable to help me get Kellyn's in-home exercises done, so its solely up to me to make sure this gets done.  Also, we have been spending a lot of time researching and shopping around for a new car since our car got totaled from the car accident two weeks ago.  In addition, we have also had so many things like doctor's appointments and various commitments to go to.  

With so much going on, its been tricky to get in the recommended minimum of five sets of physical therapy in-home exercises for Kellyn.  I feel that Kellyn's head tilt has gotten worse recently because I haven't been working with her as frequently at home.  Regardless of what else is going on, I need to remind myself daily to make her in-home exercises a priority.  Most days, I find it unrealistic to get all five sets of her exercises done, while also attending to daily household responsibilities and taking care of my family's needs.  Each day, I feel like I can't win no matter how hard I try.  

Overall, I have been working really hard with Kellyn on a daily basis for over a month now.  I have poured so much time and energy into helping her overcome this torticollis problem.  Although she has made improvements in her condition, I feel that she has not improved as much as I had hoped, considering how much time I have spent working with her.  I am starting to feel burned out and defeated.  I don't know how much I can keep this up because I feel like I am running on empty.  The worst part is that I know if I'm too tired or too busy to do Kellyn's exercises, no one else will.  My husband would do the exercises with Kellyn if he could, but his back problem prevents him from helping with this.  And I feel bad for my son Luke because I am not able to provide him as much attention and time as he deserves because I'm so busy right now.

As I write this, I can see pretty clearly that the enemy is trying to discourage me and tell me that I can't do this.  Therefore, I need to remind myself to turn this situation over to God.  God can make the impossible possible.  And right now I feel like this situation is impossible.  I have to trust that God will give me the strength and endurance to treat my daughter's torticollis.  He will provide exactly what I need...one day at a time.  As Joyce Meyer stated in her book In Pursuit of Peace:

“God will give you all the grace you need for today, and He will also give you grace for tomorrow, but as I've said, tomorrow’s grace won’t show up until tomorrow. The grace of God is just like the manna was to the Israelites; every morning, the manna came down out of the sky and that was enough for that day. Whenever someone tried to store up provision for the next day, it rotted. It’s the same way with grace. We are to learn to live our lives one day at a time.”

With this in mind, I really shouldn't worry about how I will get through the next few weeks or months of the treatment process.  Each day, I will try my best to trust God to provide me with exactly what I need to help my daughter overcome this torticollis condition. 

1 comment: