Thursday, October 31, 2013

Shoulder Stretch for Elevated Shoulder

Along with her right torticollis, my daughter often elevated her right shoulder.  This caused her torticollis to look a lot worse than it actually was.  Once I started doing this stretch with her regularly, I noticed that she did not raise her shoulder up as much or as frequently.  If your baby doesn't elevate her shoulder, then disregard this stretch. As you'll see below, I included a video tutorial and written instructions to show you how I do this stretch with my daughter.

Video Tutorial: 




Step-by-Step Written Instructions:

1.  Have baby sit on the floor.  Occupy her left hand with a toy.

Baby with right torticollis doing a physical therapy stretch.
As you can see, this stretch gently pulls her right shoulder down.

2.  Gently and carefully stretch baby's right arm back and towards the ground.

3.  Try to hold this stretch for 30 seconds.

Baby with right torticollis doing a stretch
I don't think she even realizes that she is getting stretched out.

Note:  If baby elevates left shoulder, then you would gently stretch the baby's left arm back and towards the ground.

Disclaimer: I am not a physical therapist or medical professional.  If you wish to do any of these physical therapy exercises on your own child, you should first seek approval from your child's physical therapist.  Click here for full disclaimer.