Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tilt Regression

Disappointment and frustration are starting to creep up on me again.  I felt like Kellyn's four-week physical therapy evaluation went so well and that she was improving.  I thought it was going to be a continuous improvement from there on out.  But recently, it looks like her torticollis got worse.  She seems to be tilting her head more and doing this more frequently.  And she seems to be more resistant to me stretching her neck in the opposite direction.  It's like her neck is completely stubborn and doesn't want to change.

Baby sitting down with right torticollis
I don't think Kellyn was too happy about getting her picture taken here.


I have heard that babies can have a torticollis regression during times of teething, growth spurts, and illness.  Kellyn has definitely been teething lately.  The disheartening thing is that she is eight months old and only has one real tooth at this point.  So I have a feeling that she will be teething regularly from here on out. I really hope that her tilt doesn't get worse every time she teethes.

This process is so frustrating.  I feel like I pour out all my energy and time to help her get better.  Then I get my hopes up because it looks like she is getting better.  Then, it gets worse right before my eyes.  I just want to cry.  I wish this was like most of the typical baby illnesses where you just give them a little medicine and they get better.  But this is an entire different animal. I feel like the clock is ticking for her to get better.  Now I am not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that if its not significantly resolved by one year, there is a greater likelihood of surgery.  I highly doubt she will need surgery to correct it, but a small part of me worries that she might.  I don't want my precious baby girl to have to go through another surgery.

Baby with right torticollis
The picture is pretty blurry, but I posted it because it accurately conveys the degree of her current tilt.
It's so disheartening when she regresses in her torticollis treatment.