Thursday, October 17, 2013

Kinesio Tape Removal

Kellyn has had the Kinesio Tape on the affected side of her neck for about four days. As I mentioned, I did not feel this first application technique we tried made a noticeable difference. However, I do not want to give up on it yet, as there are a few other application techniques we could potentially try. Ryan and I decided to remove the Kinesio Tape today since she had her big appointment at the Torticollis Clinic at Children's National Medical Center coming up. We wanted the clinic to see her torticollis in its "natural state" without any potential aiding from the tape.

To properly remove the Kinesio Tape, we were instructed to saturate it completely with water.  Yesterday, Ryan removed it while Kellyn was in the bathtub.  He said that she was completely fine when he removed it.  Phew!  I was really nervous about her getting upset when we removed it.

After removal, I noticed that she experienced slight reddish marks where the Kinesio Tape was previously applied. However, Kellyn seems to be fine and does not seem bothered by it. I am thinking she may just have sensitive skin. Fortunately, the red marks went away on its own within a few days. I hope this does not disqualify her from having the Kinesio Tape applied again. I was hoping that one of the other methods might work better for her.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

If you are interested in locating a Certified Kinesio Taping Practitioner (CKTP), here's a locator to find one near you.  If you want to learn more information about Kinesio Taping treatment for babies with torticollis, I recommend reading this article.

**Update**

An employee of Kinesio Australia reached out to me to provide me with some great tips on reducing the likelihood of a "rash"-like response. He confirmed that saturating with water can help with removal.  As an alternative, you can also putting oil on the tape. The oil will help to break down the glue in the tape, which in turn helps the removal process go smoother. Another option is to naturally let the Kinesio Tape fall off on its own. You can then carefully trim the loose edges of the tape, leaving only the portion that is still secured on the skin. Over time, all the Kinesio Tape should come off completely.

Also, I learned that there's a way to decipher whether a "rash"-like response is an allergic reaction or just a result of the removal. With an allergic reaction, the person would likely experience pain, irritability, and/or itchiness while the Kinesio Tape was on the skin. If the person doesn't experience these symptoms while the tape is on the skin, but still has a "rash"-like response, then it is likely a result of the removal process.