Friday, October 25, 2013

1st Chiropractic Adjustment for Torticollis

As I mentioned before, Ryan and I have been considering supplementing Kellyn's physical therapy with chiropractic treatment. Before Kellyn got diagnosed with torticollis, I would have never imagined I would be taking my baby to a chiropractor. However, torticollis is a stubborn little condition that improves very gradually. So, after two months straight of daily physical therapy exercises, I was ready to take it up a notch. After hearing such awesome reviews about chiropractic from other "tort parents", I started wondering if perhaps it could work for Kellyn. After praying, researching, watching YouTube videos of pediatric adjustments, and having a consultation with the chiropractor, we finally felt comfortable scheduling the chiropractic appointment for Kellyn.

Baby with right torticollis sitting down on floor
Kellyn's torticollis presentation one day after her first chiropractic adjustment.

Yesterday was our first chiropractic appointment for Kellyn. I was excited and hopeful about the appointment, while my husband was much more skeptical. The reassuring part is that pediatric adjustments are very different than adult adjustments. The chiropractor uses the activator on the absolute lightest setting.  The activator almost resembles a fancy clicker pen. On the lightest setting, the activator's light pressure does not hurt a bit. Kellyn first laid on her tummy and Dr. Evans used the activator on the parts of her spinal cord that were misaligned. Kellyn was so intrigued with the exam table paper that she had no idea what was even going on.

Baby with her head tilted slightly to her right due to torticollis.
I think I need to toss this permanently stained onesie :)

Then, the chiropractor flipped her over onto her back and used the activator on a couple times on her neck. I think chiropractor also did some sort of massage on her neck and shoulder area. The whole experience took less than fifteen minutes. Kellyn did not cry or seem upset at all during the appointment. In fact, she was in great spirits the whole time. Our hope is that she will need a handful of chiropractic appointments or less. We have her scheduled for her next appointment in a little over a week.

I took a good look at Kellyn today since its been a full twenty-four hours since her adjustment.  I do not see any significant improvement in her torticollis.  However, I am guessing you won't see instant improvement after just one session.  I'm thinking that after a few sessions, we should hopefully see whether or not its making a significant improvement.  One thing I know for sure is that the chiropractic adjustment didn't make things worse.  I will keep an optimistic and hopeful outlook that we will see improvement over time.

A baby with right torticollis (view from the back)
Head tilt from the back is looking minimal.
Love that she is more regularly keeping her right shoulder down.